Best DIY Beard Oil Recipe from the experts at Age of Beard
Throughout the years we have gotten hundreds of recipe requests from fans trying to make their own cost effective beard oil to try out and share with friends. Just like them, we also started with a simple cost effective recipe that developed into a more effective/complicated formula, and eventually into the company you now know. We have always sent out suggestions on what oils to use and in what combination so that some of our fans can try their hand at making beard oil and other beard products at home. This will be the first of multiple guides that we want to share with everyone trying their hand at DIY beard products. These recipes include ingredients that we personally know and love. Make sure to check out the discount code at the end of every article!
WHAT YOU NEED AND HOW TO GET IT
This article will be specifically about beard oil, but the following tools can be used to make pretty much any of the essential beard products you might want (beard oil, beard balm, and mustache wax). The following tools will easily help you make your own batch of DIY beard oil and can easily bought at a local store or online.
Here is the list:
1. Pyrex measuring glass – This will be the main tool you will use for mixing and measuring the ingredients for your beard oil. Pyrex cups are also extremely durable and can be used in the microwave in order to melt down ingredients for beard products like beard balm and mustache wax.
2. Rubber/Silicone spatula – Use this spatula to mix and stir ingredients. Rubber and silicone spatulas are very durable and inexpensive. Can be bought online or your local dollar store.
5. Amber glass bottle (1oz-2oz) – This is the traditional bottle used for most beard oil. Amber glass is durable, inexpensive, easy to find, and most importantly, it does a great job at keeping light from ruining your product. Any other container may be used as a beard oil container as long as it is dark. Too much light will make your oils expire quicker and diminish their effects.
6. Tin Can (2-4oz) – Another traditional container for beard products. Tin cans are great for beard balm and mustache wax recipes. Even though this article is about beard oil, we will be making future DIY guides for beard products that fit into this container.
The above tools/containers are the best for the job and the money, but keep in mind that your local store may have cheaper and more convenient alternatives. We simply recommend that you store the handmade beard products in containers that have minimal light and are made with nontoxic materials.
NOW I HAVE THE TOOLS. WHAT ABOUT THE INGREDIENTS?
Having the proper tools for the job is one thing, but getting the ingredients right is another. See, beard oil is simple to make, once you get the ingredients right. All good beard oil formulas are comprised of carrier oils and essential/fragrance oils. Carrier oils are natural oils that provide some kind of cosmetic benefit, while essential/fragrance oils are mostly used to give a specific scent. Essential oils are always best, because they too are known to provide benefits. Essential oils like lavender are said to relax you, while carrier oils like Jojoba help moisturize and is also rich in vitamins essential to your hair and skin.
So these are the ingredients you will need:
1. Jojoba Oil (golden) – Moisturizes and helps improve health of hair follicles, also great for your skin. This carrier oil is rich in vitamin A and E, also helps prevent acne. This will be your main oil in the beard oil formula.
3. Argan Oil – Most beard oil formulas tend to leave Argan oil out of the mix because of pricing, but we HIGHLY recommend this amazing oil. Argan oil is the best oil there is for hair for the following reasons: It simply is the best beard conditioner. Argan oil keeps hair silkier, shinier, and softer. No beard oil formula should be without it. We have kept it to a minimum in order to keep the overall cost down for this beard oil formula.
4. Vitamin E Oil – This one is optional, as most of the oils above already naturally contain Vitamin E. If you want to add some extra vitamin E to your formula, simply but Vitamin E oil and add a few drops (2-3 drops). Vitamin E is perfect for repairing damaged hair and revitalizing it. A bit on the pricey side, but only a few drops will do.
5. Essential/Fragrance Oils – As mentioned above, essential oils are mainly used to give your formula some fragrance. Within 1 oz of beard oil, we only recommend 5-10 drops of fragrance/essential oils. These are highly concentrated oils that can burn or damage your skin/hair, if too much is used. We recommend that at first you go with fragrance oils, they are cheaper and no mixing is needed. A fragrance oil is a chemical copy of essential oils, therefore reproducing awesome scents.
FINALLY, HOW TO MAKE BEARD OIL.
Here is the breakdown:
1. 50% Jojoba Oil – Simply use your mini funnel to fill up half of your container with Jojoba.
2. 35% Sweet Almond Oil – Proceed to filling another 35% of the bottle with Sweet Almond.
3.10% Argan Oil – Fill the bottle with about 10% of Argan oil. Leaving just enough room for essential/fragrance oils + Vitamin E drops.
4. 5% Fragrance/Vitamin E Oil – Add 2-3 drops of your vitamin E oil followed by 5-10 drops of your essential/fragrance oil.
5. Once all the beard oil ingredients are in the container, go ahead and shake the container for a good 30-60 seconds. Let it sit for a little bit while all the ingredients mix and the contents become clear once again.
You have officially made your first beard product! Or at least, the best DIY beard oil formula for the money.
Simply enjoy your beard oil. Depending on the length of your beard and daily use, this batch of beard oil will last you a couple of months. We recommend that you use a penny to quarter size of beard oil depending on beard length. Use it daily or 3-4 times a week for best results. This formula will help keep that beard smelling like heaven, while keeping the dreaded bearddruff and beard itch away.
Let us know how it goes!
ARTICLE DISCOUNT CODE: “iloveaob” take 10% OFF any purchase on Ageofbeard.com